Friday, October 3, 2008

Ubuntu - Most popular Linux

According to distrowatch, Ubuntu is the most popular linux distribution at the moment. I have used several distributions over the years like mandrake, redhat, fedora, debian. For last 2/3 years, I have been using Debian regularly and Fedora intermittently. However, one thing that annoyed me in Debian was its outdated packages. However I was afraid of going to Ubuntu as I thought it would be unstable and it would keep crashing all the time. After going through the reviews, I thought of giving it try.

You won't belive, I was just overwhelmed at its first performance. All of my hardwares got working during the first install itself ... installing flash, media players, java plugin was as simpler than writing this blog itself ... Suddenly my system looked all new and fresh ... I thought speed would be less, but I was wrong again ... It was amazingly fast ...

No wonder why Ubuntu is No. 1 Linux distro. You must give it a try ...


Some later additions:

  • Until now I preferred command line interfaces (CLI) for configuring applications like network setting, installing/uninstalling softwares, browsing and even cd writing. Its because I relied less on gui system. However after moving to Ubuntu, I started using much of gui stuff.
  • Secondly, the ubuntu forums are very good in the sense that I could get rid of most of my problems in a very short time.
  • Barring few glitches here and there, I found Ubuntu quite user friendly and easy to use.

No comments: