Friday, September 26, 2008

APT - Pinning in Debian

Even though I myself use Debian, I suggest Fedora to others. Its because, most of these people are interested in packages than the OS. Fedora comes with all the latest packages and has a user friendly interface for most configuration tasks. Though I think, ubuntu is a good competitor to Fedora in this aspect. Since I have spent quite a lot of time with Debian (say 3 years), I find Debian more stable and easier to manage than other distros. Most of the available packages on Etch just work fine with no hiccups. The only drawback seems to be the fact these packages are outdated. If you are really not keen on new features and happy with the available features, then Debian Etch is the right choice. Because its really stable and it works without any problem on most of the systems. But many a times, you just can't do without newer packages. One way would be to go for Debian testing or unstable repositories. But I would be prefer a stable system with less number of new packages than an unstable system with many new packages. This is where APT Pinning comes into picture. This is about finding the right combination of all the repositories. Here the administrator can consciously decide where to put the line between stability and the availability of new packages.

More information on APT - Pinning

No comments: