Friday, September 26, 2008

Could not start kstartupconfig on Debian Etch 4.0

Today one of my fellow labmates asked me whether he can use KDE on his laptop. I installed debian on his system sometime back. If you are installing on a new system, then I would suggest you to get a Debian KDE CD image, but if you want to install kde on your existing debian system that you installed using default Debian CD image, then you can read the rest of the article:

$ apt-get install kdm kde-core

However when I log out and login again by choosing KDE as my window manager, I get following error:

could not start kstartupconfig. Check your installation.

One solution that worked for me is this:

$ sudo chown -R username:users /home/username

'username' is the login name for the current user. After that I logged out and logged in again to get a working KDE session.

No comments: